ROUND THREE - Brands Hatch 29th & 30th August 2020

Race One: Two Hour Endurance, qualified P5, finished P3.

Gus started the race on the prestigious Brands Hatch GP circuit and immediately took a place from the rolling start from the sister 58 car. A multi lap battle ensued with the BMW M4 car, until a mistake and front wheel touching the gravel on turn one lost Gus momentum and position into the tight uphill Druids corner.

At the 58-minute mark, Gus radioed into the garage with a suspected front left tyre failure, only to be instructed to stay out to nurse the car for another lap, as the safety car was being called and would also allow the pit window to open, thus saving the team from two time consuming pit stops.

After a nerve-racking lap, without a tyre blow out, Gus managed to pit the car and allow the driver change to Chris, serve the 20 second success penalty from the previous win, refuel, new tyres and race for the remaining one-hour race segment.

Chris managed to move the car back up to fifth position, with a sweet, flowing move past the Toyota Supra GT4 at turn one, midway through his session. A last lap incident between teammates in the day glo Aston Martin GT4 cars (one taking a penalty, one DNF) subsequently promoted Chris and Gus up to third place with a second podium in two races!

Chris and Gus now lead the overall GT4 Drivers Championship by a half point margin, going into the next three-hour endurance race at Donington Park.


Race Two: One Hour Sprint, qualified P8, finished P1.

As the second race approached the weather began to change with the track drying out. It was a tough call for the teams whether to gamble on slick tyres or play it safe on the wet tyres. Car 58 from pole decided to stick with the wets and try to gain an advantage from being first on the grid. Gus and the 57-crew decided to gamble and pitted during the formation lap to the grid for slick tyres and to start at the back of pack, from the pit lane, some 20 seconds off the GT4 pack.

During the opening laps, Gus found it difficult for grip on slicks but as the track began to dry, he found some serious pace over the wet weather tyre runners, with a five to six second improvement in lap time. He began to make his way through the field picking off each of his competitors as he went, with some fantastic overtakes, bravely leaving the dry line for damp track to complete each move.

When the pit stop window opened, Gus stayed out and tried to capitalise on the pace and increase overall time advantage gained. When they did stop, he did so from second place behind the Pro-AM GT4 car of Euan Hankey and Mia Flewitt.

As Chris took over the 57 he had a gap of about 30 seconds to close, but his pace was strong and he started reeling in the Flewitt McLaren. Eventually with six minutes left on the clock he made his move for the lead and took the opportunity. He then used the remaining time to build car 57’s overall lead.

As the chequered flag fell the team’s sister car 58 took a great third place, whilst out in front Chris on his 25th birthday held on for his and Gus’ first ever British GT win!

Chris and Gus are now joint third, with the 58-sister car, in the GT4 Drivers Championship.


Race One: Two Hour Endurance, qualified P6, finished P5.

Sunday brought a change in weather meaning all drivers had to adapt to the wet weather conditions. The first race was the two-hour endurance race, the first of the season with refuelling during the pit stops.

Chris started car 57 and maintained his position away from the line. He then went looking to build on his solid start. As the battle containing a number of GT4 cars including the 58 car ahead intensified, Chris used the opportunity to close in. On the 40-minute mark he capitalised on the tussle between the sister 58 car and the Academy Mustang, passing them both at the final corner. However shortly after the Mustang found a turn of pace to get back through. Chris would hand over the car to Gus in fifth place.

During the second 30-minute stint, Gus he drove at a consistently fast pace, with minimal worry from the cars behind, apart from GT3 traffic (!) but too far from the front running pack after the pit stop rotations to close any gap, finishing the race in fifth place.


Race Two: One hour sprint format, qualified P8, finished P5.

From eighth on the grid, Gus pulled off some very impressive overtakes during his 30 minute stint to hand the car over to Chris in fifth place. Shortly after this pit stop a 3-car accident caused the safety car to be deployed.

Unfortunately, the damaged cars were unrecoverable in the remaining race time, meaning the safety car stayed out until the chequered flag. Chris brought the car home in a credible fifth having been denied further progression by this issue.

Leaving Oulton Park Gus and Chris are in joint fourth in the GT4 Drivers Championship.


Race One: One hour sprint format, qualified P6, finished P5.

Chris maintained his position during his first ever British GT race start and for the entirety of his stint, despite being under immense pressure from the cars around him. He handed over to Gus in his starting position of 6th.

Gus also making his debut in British GT, showed a mature drive to keep out of trouble, pushing hard when needed and bringing the car home in fifth, a great effort and some valuable early points for the two British GT Rookies.